New York Rangers Team History
With the in New York Americans proving to be a big success in the Big Apple, a second NHL team was pursued; with the end result being the New York Rangers. The New York Rangers had a similarly designed jersey akin to the Americans jersey for almost fifty seasons. The Rangers used s single dark sweater which was primarily blue. The team’s name, Rangers, was written diagonally across the chest in white. There was a triple band stripping pattern, a red band in between two white ones. The stripes ran on the sleeves just above the elbow as well as across the bottom of the torso.
In 1951, the team introduced a road jersey. The new road jersey used the same colour scheme but added more intricate stripping patterns in the neck yoke. The number and letter fonts were blue with a red shadowed effect.
In 1963, the team would add player numbers to the sleeves and in 1970 player names would be added on the back.
In 1976, the team redesigned the jersey introducing it with a logo. The design was a shield style logo that featured the full team name and two colour panels. The jerseys, overall, would become simplified, having only two striping patterns; first a double stripe that ran along the bottom of the torso; the second being a double pattern across the top of the sleeves and shoulders.
In 1978, the jersey would change back to the pre-logo design. One change was made and the home jersey front crest script would then say “New York” instead of the original “Rangers.” In 1987, the home jersey returned to the original “Rangers” scripts. In 1996, the team introduced an alternate jersey. The third jersey was a very dark blue that also featured a white and grey stripping pattern on the sleeves and a red wrist panel. The main feature of the jersey was the alternate logo. The unconventional shaped shield style logo features the head of the statue of liberty and the team initial’s N.Y.R. On the shoulders the team used the old logo from the 70’s. For one season, in 1998, the team used a white version of the alternate jersey.
In 2007, with the introduction on the Reebok Edge jersey, the team made slight changes to the design. Unlike most N.H.L. teams at the time, the basic layout of the jersey remains the same as its traditional jersey.
All Time Esteemed Rangers
• # 1 Eddie Giacomin 1965-75*
• # 2 Brian Leetch 1987-2004*
• # 3 Harry Howell 1952-69*
• # 6 Wade Redden 2008-Current
• # 7 Rod Gilbert 1961-78*
• # 9 Adam Graves 1991-2001*
• # 9 Andy Bathgate 1952-64*
• # 10 Marian Gaborik 2009-Current
• # 11 Mark Messier 1991-97, 2000-04*
• # 16 Sean Avery 2007-08, 09-Current
• # 20 Vaclav Prospal 2009-Current.
• # 23 Chris Drury 2007-Current
• # 24 Ryan Callahan 2004-Current
• # 30 Henrik Lundvqist 2000-Current
• # 35 Mike Richter 1989-2003*
• # 68 Jaromir Jagr 2005-08
• # 99 Wayne Gretzky 1996-99
Recent top Draft Pick(s)
• 2009 - Chris Kreider
• 2008 - Michael Del Zotto
• 2007 - Alexei Cherepanov
• Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (A.H.L.)
• Charlotte Checkers of the East Coast Hockey League (E.C.H.L.)