Detroit Red Wings Team History

The history of the famed Detroit Red Wings actually started in Canada in 1926. The Red Wings originally were located in Victoria, British Columbia and known as the Cougars. Moving to Detroit the Cougars would only last four seasons. Through each of the four seasons Detroit changed their jerseys.

In 1926 the jerseys were white with a red stripe across the chest with an old English style “D” in the middle. The sleeves also had a broad red stripe running from forearm to bicep, accented with a red neckline.

 

In 1927 the “D” was taken off and replaced with the word “Detroit” the striping remained the same with a few smaller red stripes added above and below “Detroit” which remained in the big red stripe across the chest. In 1928 the word “Detroit” was moved up and arced over a logo of a cougar head.

 

Four thin red stripes were added to the sleeves as well. In their last season the Cougars went back to the design of the 1927 look except with the word “Detroit” in hollow lettering across the front.

In 1930-32 Detroit changed its name to the Falcons, and introduced the only other colour to grace a Detroit jersey other than red and white. Yellow was used on the falcons jersey as the inside colour for the names “Detroit” and “Falcons” with red piping around the words. More thin red stripes were added to the top and bottom of the jersey along with the sleeves.

 

In 1932, under new ownership the team would change its name to the Red Wings bringing in the famous winged wheel as their logo. The jersey started out very simple and plain, all red with a white stripe at the bottom and a white stripe around the elbow and the winged wheel in the middle.

 

In 1934 the Red Wings would add a white jersey to the lineup and would only be used in games against the Montreal Canadiens because they also had an all red jersey. Not much changed on the jersey, but in 1963 white numbers were added to the sleeves in contrast to the red jersey. In 1973 player names were added to the backs of the jersey just like the rest of the NHL.

In 1982, along with the addition of Steve Yzerman, significant changes were made. The winged wheel was centered and enlarged and the name plate on the back was arced with the numbers given a cursive look to them.

 

After one year the player numbers were changed back to a normal block letter font.

 

In 1986, a minor detail was changed moving the tail stripe all the way to the bottom on the red jersey, after that the jersey was not changed one stitch until two decades later. Even with the emergence of the Reebok Edge jersey in 2007 the look of jersey still remains the same.